MASSACHUSETTS — There is a new warning for parents about a popular project for kids.

Homemade slime is hot “do it yourself” trend right now, but it could also be putting your kids at risk.

One child in Massachusetts ended up with third-degree burns on her hands, and now, her mother is speaking out about the dangers.

For months, Siobhan Quinn thought she was winning the battle between electronics, social media, and her 11-year-old daughter Kathleen.

“I thought it was great,” she said. “I encouraged it, bought all the stuff, and then when they were gone, I bought more. She was being a little scientist… (Now), I feel terrible. I feel like the worst mother.”

The fifth-grader was making homemade slime, just like seemingly everyone else at school. But last weekend, while at a sleepover, Kathleen woke up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain.

PHOTOS: Girl says she was burned by homemade slime


div class='meta'
div class='origin-logo' data-origin='none'/divspan class='caption-text' data-credit='Photo/WCVB'Siobhan Quinn says her 11-year-old daughter, Kathleen, suffered severe burns from playing with homemade slime./span/div
div class='meta'
div class='origin-logo' data-origin='none'/divspan class='caption-text' data-credit='Photo/WCVB'Siobhan Quinn says her 11-year-old daughter, Kathleen, suffered severe burns from playing with homemade slime.

Read more…