RALEIGH, N.C. — About 45,000 homes across North Carolina were without power Tuesday evening after Tropical Storm Irma blew through overnight.

Gov. Roy Cooper said there were about 75,000 customers without power at the peak of the outages, but the total was beginning to wane as crews began working. Most of the outages were in western counties, such as Buncombe, Mecklenburg and Jackson.

“As expected, this storm has brought strong winds and rains to North Carolina, especially in the western part of our state,” Cooper said. “They saw impacts from this storm overnight.”

No storm deaths have been reported in North Carolina, and no serious injuries had been reported early Tuesday. Mike Sprayberry, the director of North Carolina Emergency Management, said about 80 people were in shelters opened recently and about 400 meals were given out.

Wind gusts of nearly 50 mph were reported in the mountains, and the Blue Ridge Parkway remained closed Tuesday, which cut off access to Mount Mitchell State Park.

At Grandfather Mountain, the top wind gust was clocked at 68 mph.

Some schools were closed Tuesday and at least 25 other districts opened later than usual, Cooper said.

Read more…