Planks are one of those exercises that you hear about, but don’t hear about enough. Most people stick to their routine and don’t include planks in most of them. But a plank is an exercise that should be included because it literally transforms our body from the inside out.
To perform a basic plank, you should:
– Get into a press up position. Bend your elbows and rest your weight on your forearms.
– Your body should form a straight line from shoulders to ankles. Make sure your hips, head and shoulders don’t drop.
– Engage your core by pulling your belly into your spine.
– Hold this position for 15 to 90 seconds depending on what you are able for. Remember, it’s better to maintain proper form for a shorter period of time than to hold improper form for a long time.
– Rest for approximately one minute and repeat three to five more times.
1. You’ll Speed Up Your Metabolism
Planking is an excellent way of challenging your entire body because doing them every day will burn more calories than other traditional abdominal exercises, such as crunches or sit-ups. The muscles you strengthen by doing this exercise on a day-to-day basis will ensure that you burn more energy even when sedentary.